Sunday, October 5, 2008

The Fixer

As a kid, I used to love to watch Super Friends on Saturday mornings. Even as I am typing this, I am hearing in my head, "Meanwhile, back at the hall of justice". I always thought it would be pretty amazing to be Superman just for the ability to be able to fly but I am reconsidering that power.

I was talking with my Sarah on the way home from church today about what Super-Hero power we would like to have. She said she would like to have the power to know how people need to be loved. Given the last few days with there being a strain on a relationship, I told he that I would love to be "The Fixer". I love the idea of fixing things but I am horrible at it. I love the idea of being able to fix the problem with my car's front wheel(making some strange noise). I love the idea of being able to fix a hole in the drywall. I just have no idea of where to start.

This mentality of wanting to fix things crosses over into relationships. When someone has a problem, I want to fix it and move on. Sometimes I feel equipped to fix whatever problem someone has and sometimes I have no idea. When I feel like I can help, I usually just pragmatically give my thoughts on how to fix it and step in to try to control it's outcome. I am starting to see the value in patience in instances where I start to put on the "Fixer" cape.

Maturity is slowly setting in and I am fighting it ever step of the way. Maturity is telling me that God is in control and I am not. Maturity is telling me to let things play out and allow people to make mistakes. It's messy but it allows God to fix things in His time and the way He wants to. I am continually needing to be reminded of the eternal value of staying present to the Holy Spirit and allowing Him to guide me in conversations. It's not my responsibility to fix. It's my responsibility to Love and allow Him to show me what that looks like in any given situation.

Love is telling me to put the cape down.

1 comment:

  1. yeah. I have one of those capes too. I can't remember where I put it, though. I think Katie burned it...along with my "professor's jacket." (what I put on when I'm trying to teach her a lesson.) Argh. Why do we think our way is so right? Miss you bro.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think!